Sunday 7 October 2018

A section of sky in the elephant trunk nebula

Here we have another section of sky in the elephant trunk nebula . On this particular evening I had problems with the tracking on the mount and time was very limited . I only had one hour before the telescope would crash into the pier. However I still consider this image as useful.

I was using my ten inch F4.8 reflector, a Vixen Atlux mount and an Atik 383L mono CCD camera. I only used narrowband filters SII, OIII and H-alpha, capturing five-minute sub frames with matching dark frames and combined them with flat field frames to reduce the effect of vignetting in the final image. The total exposure time was limited to 40 minutes using an H-alpha filter, ten minutes using an OIII filter and ten minutes using an SII filter.

Mosaic image


Full size