Saturday 16 February 2019

M78 and Barnards loop

This image was taken on two separate evenings. On the first evening I only had two hours of imaging time before the clouds closed in on me. I set the camera on times two bin mode increasing the sensitivity of the camera. I used my set of narrowband filters H-alpha for 60 minutes, S11 for 30 minutes and O111 for 30 minutes . On the second evening however I set the camera on times 1 bin mode with a total exposure time of three hours using a H-alpha filter. That particular evening I was imaging about 30 degrees from the first quarter moon with mist to content with . Stars were only visible down to magnitude 3.5. The telescope I was using was an 80mm f/7 refractor with a focal reducer and field flattener making f/6.3 . I was using an Atik 383L mono CCD camera, PHD auto guiding and a Vixen Atlux mount. I captured ten-minute sub frames with matching dark-frames and combined them with flat-field frames to reduce the effect of vignetting in the final image. The total exposure time was five hours.

RGB


Hubble palette

RGB + Hubble palette