Wednesday 8 November 2023

The Helix nebula and M33

The Helix nebula. Here we have additional data added from three separate evenings, 44 minutes using a H Alpha filter and 17 minutes using an O111 filter. The camera was set on X 2 bin mode capturing 60 second sub frames with matching dark frame and flat field frames. I was using my 4 inch f/6.3 refractor mounted on a Vixen Atlux mount and an Atik 383L mono CCD camera.

Click on an image to get a closer view.


M33. This face on Galaxy lies in the constellation of Triangulum. I set the camera on X2 bin mode capturing 60 second sub frames with matching dark and flat field frames. I used my 4 inch f/6.3 refractor, a Vixen Atlux mount and an Atik 383L mono CCD camera. I also used a set of Astronomik narrowband filters HA, O111 and blue. I then combined these data with some old luminance data, the camera was set on X 1 bin mode revealing the final result. The total exposure time was 33 minutes using an O111 filter, 40 minutes using a HA filter and 20 minutes using a blue filter. The old luminance data however I captured had five minute sub frames using an IDAS filter with a total exposure time of 120 minutes.